Friday, November 16, 2012

Santa Clarita Marathon 5K race report

Submitted by Heather Stewart @captainstewie

I live in a sleepy suburb of Los Angeles. Close enough to get to the cool stuff in under an hour (sans traffic) and far away enough to not feel like I live in LA. In fact, I’m often told I don’t have the LA mentality and I know it’s meant as a compliment. The truth is LA is like a melting pot. You have this strong mixture of natives and transplants so I don’t exactly know what an LA mentality is. BUT I do know this: I live in an awesome place. So awesome, in fact, it was nicknamed Awesometown (barf!)!

Sara, Robert, Ryan, Cody, Ditto, Cassie, Neil, Me!

Santa Clarita is about 30 miles north of Los Angeles on the I5 freeway. And is a city of well over 200,000 people with a small town feel! We are famous for being the home of Six Flags Magic Mountain and not-so-famous for being a place where many, many of your favorite movies and tv shows have been filmed. Not a day goes by where I’m not detoured by a crew or watching my boob tube when I see my high school, local shopping center, junior college, etc etc.

That's me on the left at my heaviest: over 300 lbs. in 2010
Each year the first weekend of November Santa Clarita holds its marathon. This Boston qualifying race also includes a 5K, a half marathon, a 2.6 mayor’s walk, a 1K fun run for kids and the final mile challenge. It’s a busy weekend around our town and an awesome way to get out, get some exercise and support your community.

Two years ago I walked in the Mayor’s Walk. It was the first “race” I ever paid for. I had just begun my healthy lifestyle and making changes and this was the day I decided I wanted to do a 5K.

Last year, I signed up for the 5K and ran the whole thing…in the pouring rain…and PR’d.
Santa Clarita 5K 2011, 34:42

This year was a little bit different. I wanted to do this race but I have no desire to pay to run 13.1 or 26.2 miles throughout the city where I run ALL.THE.TIME. That being said I still wanted to support the community and sign up for the 5K. I was also coming off of a busy October - 3 races in 4 weeks. I ran almost 70 miles in October, which is a lot for me.

I’m feeling heavy, sore and my body is tired, but I signed up and I was gonna follow through! It helped that a big group of friends was doing it as well! The fun thing about running through your own hometown is seeing all your friends and neighbors! It’s also great here because the master plan of the city included about 30 miles worth of paseos (or bike/running paths) so there is always somewhere safe to run! Lastly, it helps to keep up traditions!

My favorite tradition is meeting after for a beer at Salt Creek Grill. This awesome restaurant is steps away from the finish line and they open early for a delicious brunch on marathon day…however, we just go in and enjoy a beer. So this year we dubbed ourselves Team dRUNker…because we RUN in between drinks ;) We had all gone out the night before for a couple and then were having a beer directly after so it made sense!

The run was so fun and everyone did a great job! I did about my average and it felt good to come in around 35 minutes after the way I have been feeling lately! I pushed it and it showed!

I had my run 3rd index card in my pocket and my intentions set…

On November 4th I…
• Ran first for me—I needed to stop, regroup and remember how far I’ve come
• Ran second for my family—The community I live in, although large, is so close knit. It was awesome to run with thousands of people from my hometown and beyond…
• And I ran third for YOU….Victims of Sandy, Linda, Kristine’s insurance, Praeriedikter’s Mom and more…

Memorable Quote:
Server at Salt Creek Grill: “I knew I’d see you guys this morning…” 

No comments:

Post a Comment