Several running events are being planned in support of the victims of the shooting at the Sandy Hook Elementary School. We hope you will be able to participate in at least one of them!
• Sandy Hook Virtual 5K Run in support of the Sandy Hook School Support Fund
Virtual 5K Run. Run ANYWHERE you'd like. Run on your treadmill, around a city block, at a school track or where every you'd like FOR THIS WORTHY CAUSE! Donations will be sent to Sandy Hook School Support Fund c/o Newtown Savings Bank, 39 Main Street, Newtown CT 06470
Registration closed. December 29. Registration is $20. Register via active.com by December 28.
• Strides for Sandy Hook 5K
Let's bring Newtown closer together. On January 19, 2013 join us for the first annual Strides for Sandy Hook 5k. This race will be a fundraiser in which proceeds will be donated towards funding for a memorial dedicated to the victims of last week's tragedy. Registration site to come in the following days. Pre-race registration will be $25, day-of registration will be $35.
More information is available at the Facebook group.
• Sandy Hook Elementary Memorial Virtual Half Marathon and 5K
This is a virtual half marathon and virtual 5K. Since it is virtual, you can complete it anywhere in the world. You can run, walk, swim, bike, anything you like, and you can complete the 13.1 miles or 5K all at once, over the course of a week, or whenever you can. Please complete all miles between now and Jan 31st. This is on the honor system - you do not have to report your miles. Race Benefits United Way of Western Connecticut Sandy Hook Victims.
More information at the Facebook event page. Registration is $20 for the 5K, $30 for the half. Register via active.com by January 31 and complete distance by that day.
• 5K Run for the Children of Sandy Hook. This event will take place in Danbury CT and feature a 5K run and family walk, as well as 1/2 mile and 1 mile kids' fun runs. Date is set for March 23, 2013 with a 10am start time. There is also a virtual run option to run anywhere!
Join the Facebook group or follow @5krunforshf on Twitter to stay apprised of plans.
Registration now open!
• Runner's World covers these and some additional events.
If you know of any other events, please comment below with a link and I will add them. Thank you!