Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Brandy Placencia's 2nd Run3rd 5K Race Report

Submitted by Brandy Placencia, @anjenaca
Brandy & Gabriel Placencia at finish line!

I almost didn’t go to the 2nd #run3rd 5k in Arizona. I was extremely burnt out from Girl Scouts and just did not have much energy. When I heard of Anna "Patty Duke" Pearce’s passing I knew I needed to be there. She meant so much to all of us. I have been a fan of hers for as long as I can remember and read her book “Call Me Anna” a few times. Suffering from Severe Social Anxiety that also causes bouts of depression, her book helped me feel like I wasn’t alone back before the explosion on the internet.

After getting to Mesa and seeing everyone, I was so happy that I had made the trip. This was the first time getting to see the other #run3rd Captains that I didn’t have an anxiety attack. I am so happy that my sister Cheyanne got me into this a few years back.

Race morning was perfect weather although I would have preferred some clouds to block the sun. We were pleasantly surprised when we saw that our fearless leader Sean Astin had made it to the race that morning. After a bunch of picture taking and a speech from Sean, the race was on.

I wasn’t quite sure what to expect since last year I had walked the entire race with my sister, but I had brought my Jeff Galloway Run/Walk timer, and with the flat course was excited to get a good time. Unfortunately, thanks to 3 months of Girl Scout Cookie Hell, lack of training and a higher altitude than I’m used to, I felt exhausted from the start. In the last mile I almost quit to a slow walk when I realized I was actually about to catch up with Sean so I pushed harder.

I finished with a time of 45:49 which wasn’t my best but also wasn’t my worst. Overall even though it was the worst I felt during a race, I had a great time and look forward to the next one.

Brandy Placencia
April 19, 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment