Monday, May 7, 2012

Operation School Bell report

Submitted by Heather Stewart @captainstewie

Yesterday I participated in the Assistance League's Operation School Bell 5K in Santa Clarita, CA. It was a beautiful day for a race, but I won't lie, by 8:15 when the race started it was getting H-O-T! This event raises money for local school children to have backpacks, school supplies and other necessities. The coolest part was the group of local high school teachers who raised money for Project Prom. Project Prom helps kids who might not be able to afford this milestone go and enjoy their high school prom. These teachers all had fundraising goals and when they met those goals, they pledged to run in prom dresses. It was really fun to see all these teachers dressed to the nines with their running shoes on cruising down the trail.

The Brenda Mehling Cancer Fund took this opportunity to get the word out about our race on June 2nd, the Fight it! 5K. The Assistance League generously let us set up our booth for free. It was a great day to meet local runners and #run3rd!

Although I really wanted to PR [personal record], I didn't. I ran the first mile at a really fast pace (for me!) and got too tired and hot. BUT I only missed my personal best by 20 seconds soooooo I feel great! Finishing time: 33:19; considering I ran this same race in 39:36 just a year ago it's definitely a win!

#Run3rd for improving at every race!

No comments:

Post a Comment