Sunday, September 23, 2012

Guelph Downtown 5K Race Report

Submitted by Christina Boulard @ChristinaBWho

First use of new #Run3rd logo in a race!
I was a bundle of nerves. I'd gotten MAYBE an hour of sleep all night. Adreneline was the only thing keeping me on my feet by race time.

The Guelph Downtown 5K isn't a HUGE race, which was one reason I'd picked it as my first, but I sure felt crowded at that start line!

I was about 100m back from the actual line, and the starter gun scared me when it went off! Haha! The whole pack started out running… and running FAST. That first km was my best km time, ever. Sadly, I couldn't keep up the pace and slowed to a walk by minute 5. I'm not yet able to run a full 5K. I knew I'd be walking much of it, and I was okay with that!

I STILL have lots of pain in my calves during km's 2 and 3, so I ran/walked at my normal pace through the pain. THAT was when your #run3rd dedications helped me the most. I thought about cancer survivors and those still fighting. Sisters-in-law and dolphins and Tyler. Patriotism..and always there at the back of my mind was our fearless leader, Sean. ;)

I had my music in my ears, the sun had come out from behind the clouds (it had rained ALL morning!) and I was finally, finally enjoying my run. The scenery was gorgeous with many trees already changing colours, and the residential area was filled with pretty houses.

At km 4, I was finally out of pain, so I just ran. I ran the full last km—a second personal best km time—and as I rounded the last corner, I turned my music off so I could hear the crowd. A volunteer yelled to me, "YOU GOT THIS! YOU'RE ALMOST THERE! PUSH!" That lit a fire under me, and for the last 200m, I sprinted.

I passed my daughter, fiance and step-dad and I could only smile as I ran by. The emotion I felt at that moment was overwhelming, and that's when I started to cry. I could see my mother, standing right at the finish line with camera in hand. I crossed the line and fell into her arms, sobbing...and then immediately had to push her away because I thought I was going to puke--that's how hard I ran that last 200m! Haha!

Rounding the turn for home! Look at that smile!

I cried as I hugged my daughter and fiance, with pride and joy and relief! I wasn't last (that was a HUGE fear for me) AND I'd run a personal best, shaving over 4 minutes off my usual time!

I finished in 45:46… and I'm already looking for my next race. ;)

2 comments:

  1. Your face in that last picture says it all!

    Thanks again for running for me and my sister-in-law!

    *beams with pride*

    ReplyDelete
  2. It doesn't matter how many times I read this, it makes me cry and makes me so proud of your accomplishment! I didn't realize you were the first to wear the new #run3rd logo, I love that!

    ReplyDelete