Thursday, January 24, 2013

On the one year anniversary of #run3rd

Submitted by Leah Gutierrez @Leahmari11

A year ago, my friend Pam and I stood in our corral waiting for the start of the inaugural Disneyland Tinkerbell Half Marathon. Amidst all the pre-race pep talks I remember the race correspondent interviewing some folks. I heard a familiar voice that stirred a giddiness in me. He talked about why he was running and who he was running for and invited everyone to learn more by following him on Twitter. Everyone around me listened closely trying to understand what was being said, though some didn't quite follow what was going on (perhaps they were distracted by the brisk morning cold). I exclaimed, "That's Sean Astin! This #Run3rd thing he's talking about seems like something we need to find out more about."

I immediately pulled out my phone, got on twitter and hit the follow button for @SeanAstin_LA [now @SeanAstin -Ed.].

That was my re-introduction to Sean Astin and the beginning of #Run3rd. It's been quite a year! Being a #Run3rd Team Captain has taught me so much. I run all my races now with a greater purpose than I initially set out to do. The Captains inspiring each other to do more and be more fills my heart with such great joy. Our amazing #Run3rd community is one that I am honored to be a part of, and watching how it's grown worldwide in just one year has been exciting.

Thank you Sean for the blessing of #Run3rd and for sharing it with all of us.

Happy #Run3rd Anniversary!

No comments:

Post a Comment